[nabs-l] Training Center Questions

Aleeha Dudley blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 15:18:56 UTC 2016

Hey Julie,
I graduated from the Louisiana Center for the Blind at the end of May, so I’ll provide a bit of perspective.
Before I attended training, I had a fair few skills. I navigated campus, lived on my own, and could read Braille and use a computer. The reason I attended training was for my confidence. I had very little of this important attribute before I came to LCB. I didn’t believe in myself and I was very down, even a little depressed. I got to LCB and had no idea what I’d gotten myself into. We went rock climbing, and now I compare training to a rock wall. We all start at the bottom of our respective walls. Some of us might be a little further up the mountain than others, but we’re all starting at the base of the wall. If we listen to our instructors, and work just as hard as we can, eventually, with a triumphant yell, we will scale the wall and stand at the top, waving both hands. Slowly, throughout training, my confidence came back, and then soared to new heights. I never thought I could travel in the areas I have, successfully go to Mardi Gras, or anything that I’ve done. I’m so happy I got the opportunity to go to training. The most important thing I got out of the experience was self-confidence. You can take all the classes you want, but without confidence in your abilities, you are nothing.
Aleeha