[nabs-l] Training Center Questions

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 00:23:07 UTC 2016

Thank you kind ones for humoring me.  Keep the answers coming!

My next question...  What is it about the NFB Training Centers that
inspires such confidence in their graduates?  Aleeha is not the only
one who has told me that confidence is the most valuable thing learned
at a center.  I've seen it happen in people who are very close to me
and believe its true; however, I would like to know why?  Is it that
centers challenge their students to push themselves further than
they've ever been pushed?  Is it learning under accomplished blind
instructors who motivate the students?  How? What?  Why?  :)

I know that center curriculum can be individualized.  That's actually
one of the selling points for me.  Also, although I have been
encouraged to attend a center, I have never been pressured or
recruited much at all.  If I had, well, I don't think I would be
seriously considering it.  That whole stubbern thing...  I get it.

The point about learning things in community settings doesn't work for
me though.  When I'm learning a skill, I have a hard time teaching a
sighted instructor how they can teach me that skill, especially if A.
I don't know how to do the task in question... And, B. The instructor
isn't open to learning about blindness.  Maybe this speaks to my lack
of confidence or my massive impatient streak.

One of my beloved mentors never went to a training center.  I know it
is not strictly necessary for getting a job and being successful.  I
won't start writing about careers though... We would be here all
evening...  :)

I definitely agree that a student at a center gets what they put into
it.  I suppose that is life though as well.  We get out of life what
we expect from ourselves.  If a person feels as though a center could
help them expand their good skills and success into brilliance and
confidence, then maybe they should take advantage of it?  I don't
know...  But that goes right along with my thoughts lately.  Lol
Reason 2,800 why you don't want to live in my head...  :)  Thanks
friends for the discussion.