[nabs-l] Alosha Moore for NABS board Position

Alosha Moore aloshamoorenfb at gmail.com
Tue May 31 19:36:04 UTC 2016

Good Afternoon NABS:

My name is Alosha Moore and I am announcing my bid for a NABS board
position.  I am a third year law student attending Washburn University
in Topeka, Kansas. Prior to law school, I attained double bachelor’s
degrees in Political Science and History, with the intent to practice
international relations and human rights law.  I have confidently and
consistently held leadership positions throughout my academic career,
including President, senator, and ambassador in hi school, under
graduate, and law school student government organizations.  I
currently am president of the Pro Bono society, Vice President of
International Law Society, Treasurer of Business Law Society, and
secretary of VITA; a tax clinic program at my law school.
While in hi school, I was an integral member in starting a program
that became a nonprofit to provide physical therapy for both
physically and mentally challenged children through horse riding.  In
my time as an undergrad I partnered in spearheading the program Bods
Feeding Bods, which continues to insure that no student will go hungry
wile at university.  In law school, I assisted in initiating a clinic
specifically to assist veterans with wills, trusts, and expungements,
in order to directly give back.  Additionally, I was a vital partner
in initiating and revitalizing both the at-large chapter in Kansas and
the Kansas Association of Blind Students (KABS.) I currently serve as
Vice President of the student division.

Within NABS, I am a proud member of the Fundraising Committee. I am
determined to give back to the organization that has provided me with
so much in terms of confidence, independence, and both professional
and personal growth.   I believe that my experience to organize,
network, and advocate continue to develop. I am confident in my
abilities to be a genuine asset, not only to NABS, but to the
Federation as a whole.  My personal growth through my acceptance and
embracement of my blindness will be instrumental in ushering thriving
new members into our NFB family.  I plan to address and assess the
geographical challenges to the Mid-West, consistently staying
connected with the rest of the organization.  We are not an
organization that solely meets twice a year; we have work to get done
each day. I plan to support Kathryn Webster’s progressive agenda in
maintaining solid contact in supporting the national office, while
striving to alter society’s misconceptions and limitations of the
blind.  Perhaps most significantly, I plan to assist the current
members with self-advocacy challenges, including effectively enabling
individuals, no matter how limited their experiences may be.

I, therefore, strongly urge each and every one of you to reach out
with any questions and allow these connections and discussions to
ignite.  I sincerely wish to share, learn, and understand the problems
facing our members. Finally, I ask each of you to recognize my
abilities and qualifications by considering me for this leadership
role. We deserve to live the life we want.

Thank you,
Alosha Moore
Vice President | Kansas Association of Blind Students