[nabs-l] Any Suggestions for Blindness Literature?

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 6 02:57:39 UTC 2016

Hello Vejas and Carly,

Thank you for your suggestions. My schedule has been rather busy lately, and I am not always quite sure how to answer vague questions about blindness, especially when my mind is focused on other things. So this is why I thought providing my professor with some literature might be helpful after trying to talk to him about how he is treating me makes me feel uncomfortable.

I understand people may feel a bit awkward around me as a blind person when they first meet me. However, it is now beyond the middle of the semester, and it feels as though my professor still feels a bit uncomfortable interacting with me as a blind person.

One day as I was entering class and finding my seat, I heard my professor tell me that he does not know how I do it. Since it appears as though I have migrated in terms of where I sit in the classroom, I responded by telling him that I did not know how I do it either. However, it was not until after this exchange of comments were made that I realized that my professor and I were talking about two different things. It seemed to me that he simply could not understand how I could possibly get around independently as a blind person. However, since I was yet again migrating to the next row over when finding a seat, I was wondering how it is that I keep migrating to the next row of seats rather than simply head towards the seat that I normally sit in during class. I generally sit in the same seat in class for all of my classes, so the fact that I keep migrating to other seats for this particular class puzzles me a bit.

There was also another day where my professor followed me out to the bus stop and waited there with me until my ride showed up to pick me up. While I was standing there, I used my Victor Stream to find the phone number for the person who was picking me up, and called the person who was picking me up from the bus stop on my IPhone. From my point of view, I was just doing what I needed to do to find out if my ride was still planning to pick me up at this particular location. However, my professor thought that I was somehow amazing for being able to do this simple task. The fact that my professor followed me out to the bus stop really made me feel uncomfortable, and the fact that he thinks I am amazing simply for being able to walk to the bus stop and make a phone call tells me that he has rather low expectations of me as a blind person.

I honestly do not know how to describe the blindness techniques I use when getting around independently as a blind person. I have never really had any real formal training in the skills of blindness, so most of the techniques I use are simply based on what I have seen other people do that I have simply adopted to work for me. So when people ask me how I am able to get around independently as a blind person, I honestly have no idea how to answer this question because I simply do what comes natural to me.

Since I have clearly demonstrated my capabilities as a blind student, I thought perhaps providing him with some additional information in the form of literature would help him understand that I am really just another student in his sociology class. I feel as though it is really not my responsibility to sit down with my professor and answer every question he might have about blindness just to satisfy his curiosity. I only have so much time in my schedule, and sometimes I simply have more important things to do. So again, I simply thought providing my professor with some literature on blindness might help this situation.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth