[nabs-l] questions about fitting in.

Anna Givens annajee82 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 05:52:29 UTC 2016

Hey lovely,

So it seems that these people have not interacted much, if ever, with blind people.  Unfortunately, it has become your task to make them comfortable with you being blind. I wonder if there is some way you can casually educate these people, making them more curious and more comfortable.  For example, if you guys are having a discussion about something in the youth group, you could throw something in there about how you as a blind person do something that's relevant.  Or if some event is being planned, offer a new idea that you will take charge of.  Or you could have a game night or something fun that you set up and ask people if they would come.  As we all know, you are a delightful young lady with a wonderful and warm personality.  So I am sure if you can get there attention and show them something, they'll come around.  Maybe you could even invite some of them to volunteer at the center or something?  I don't know.  But I am just thinking, get them more comfortable with blind people.
If all else fails, you can always go elsewhere.  Some church congregations just aren't super welcoming to anyone....
Let us know how it goes.
You are not the only one who struggles with this.

Thank you for reaching out here to talk about this issue.

Hope others will give their input.

See you soon! :)

Anna E Givens