[nabs-l] Did you study a foreign language? We want to meet you.

NCDE Clearinghouse clearinghouse at miusa.org
Wed Nov 16 19:11:26 UTC 2016

Greetings NABS

I hope this message finds you all well. The National Clearinghouse on
Disability and Exchange, a project administered by Mobility
International USA with the support of the US Department of State for the
purpose of increasing the participation of people with disabilities in
all kinds of international exchange including study, volunteer or intern
abroad, is ooking for leads on blind people who have learned a second
language.

We are particularly looking for folks who have experience studying
critical languages like Chinese, Arabic, Russian or Japanese among
others, as these languages tend to create unique challenges for people
who are blind/visually impaired because of the fact that they don't use
the Latin Alphabet. That said, if you have a great story about learning
a second language, we would love to hear from you. We are also
interested in meeting blind/VI folks who have learned English as a
second language.
The reason why we are doing this outreach is because we plan to add a
collection of tip sheets, good practices and stories on foreign language
study with disabilities to our online resources at www.MIUSA.org. We
hope that this project will help to advance language-learning in the
blind community and beyond by sharing information on teaching and
learning based on the successes and lessons learned of real people like you.

If you have some tips or you would like us to feature your story, please
email jharford at miusa.org and share a little about yourself. To learn
more about the clearinghouse, and the resources that we offer, please
visit http://www.miusa.org/plan/.

Sincerely

--
Justin Harford
Project Coordinator
National Clearinghouse on Disability and Exchange
Mobility International USA
Phone: 541-343-1284 extension 14
Email: jharford at miusa.org