[nabs-l] Blindness and roommates

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 29 14:10:12 UTC 2016

Sami,

Sorry to hear this. You did what I'd do. You already reported this to your
resident director. I think you should talk to them nicely. Tell them you
need to sleep by a certain time; perhaps 11:00 for the next day and ask them
if their guests could be a bit quieter.
Yes you'd need to talk to them and then meet with your resident assistant or
the resident director. I had issues with my roomate  too although not as
bad. Like your situation, she invited either her boyfriend or someone else
late to  our room and they had the tv on. She also took over some of my side
of the room. She was not at all respectful of my desires to sleep or do what
I needed to do. Fortunately, she did not take my stuff even though I left
for the weekend. I had a meeting with her and my RA which did nothing to
solve the issues.

The next semester I switched rooms. My suggestion Ii s you talk to your
roommates and then the director with them. If that fails to work, switch
rooms next semester. You could also take a lot of your stuff home on
weekends so they do not take it. You could put your valuable things in a
locked place perhaps; I think you can buy containers or drawers that can
lock up.

They may be taking advantage of you, but they may do this to anyone; you
never know. Maybe they are just real rude people.
If they actually steal something and do not give it back, remember you can
report that to the police; most schools have a police department. If they
harrass you, that is also reportable.

Not sure what else to suggest. I hope something works out and keep us
posted.

Ashley