[nabs-l] Advice on getting textbook in accessible format with image descriptions

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 2 20:50:18 UTC 2016

Hello Taylor,

It seems to me that if you are in high school that it should be easier to obtain accessible class materials as it is required by law. Regardless, you could still use some of these suggestions. Perhaps your teacher would be available to help you go over the graphs before or after school. Pairing up with other students would also still be an option. If you are willing to provide some after school snacks, this would provide for a good incentive for other students to help you. Using a tutor may also be an option too. There may be some students in the honor society either at your high school or a local community college who may be looking for some volunteer hours.

Does the Hadley School have any economics courses? If so, perhaps they may have some accessible materials that may help you. If may also be wort looking to see what the American Printing House has to offer as well. Since you are in high school, I would imagine that your school would help you pay for any of these materials.

Also, another thing wort trying is Googling either the general concept of a particular graph to see what descriptions the internet may provide you. If it is simply a basic course, it seems to me that you should not have too much difficulty finding accessible materials even if they are not specific to the textbook you will be using. I would imagine all basic economics concepts are the same regardless of what textbook you are using.

Again, best of luck to you as you determine the best way to gain access to the information you need for your economics class.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth