[nabs-l] Seeking Input on the Accessibility of mySQL Workbench 6.3

Humberto Avila humbertoa5369 at netzero.net
Tue Oct 4 05:39:19 UTC 2016

hello everybody,

I am recently taking a course on database concepts in my university to
fulfill my requirements for my Information Technology minor. our class
is using the MySQL Workbench and server software from Oracle.

My question is: is this application for Windows accessible with JAWS or
NVDA? Do I need anything I have to do to run MySQL workbench with one of
these screen readers?

Today in class was the first day in which we were supposed to learn how
to create models with tables and diagrams for our first database.
However, all the input I get from the installed copy of JAWS on my lab
computer are some empty listviews labeled, "Add tables," "Add routines"
"Add users," "Add diagrams," and others. I can not seem to type in, or
edit any columns, rows, or other data within the database model, as the
instructor was explaining and telling us how to do it and what to select
on what I assume are selectable controls in the GUI.

Are there any specific keyboard commands used in the MySQL workbench
application that I should know? Are there any third party scripts that I
can load that are available for JAWS?

On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being super accessible, how would anyone
with experience with this application rate the its accessibility with
JAWS and / or NVDA?

Any advice, feedback, lessons or just advice on how to get the
instructor to accommodate for an alternative solution to the MySQL
application will be greatly appreciated, as there is an assignment that
I have to turn in using the MySQL software next Monday.

Thanks for reading!

Sincerely,

Humberto

---