[nabs-l] [Acbs-l] using Braille for math

Bill Dengler codeofdusk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 17:27:25 UTC 2016

Thanks for the comprehensive reply!
I’m interested in being a Computer Science major as well, and have seen your name in Github commits somewhere.
Math ML and such are incredibly frustrating. VoiceOver on the Mac jumps all over the place when reading Wikipedia’s and Stack Overflow’s implementation, so I’ve switched them both to output plain TeX.
You say that "UEB is extremely subpar for math.  Less symbols means reading faster.  Less symbols means keeping your equation on one line."
Yes, I understand that... but are there any benefits for me to learn and use UEB? As you say "your braille portion is for you, and you're the only person who needs to read it." so writing in a standard notation is obviously not important (as long as I can transcribe back to TeX!)
I am working to get a Baum Vario Ultra 40, which has a notepad and the ability to disable Braille translation. I plan to use the notepad (with translation disabled) for math, in combination with hardcopy Braille.
I have seen discussion that Braille math presents things spatially, which aids in understanding. With a display, you obviously only have one line at a time, so isn’t the spatial portion lost? Clearly you can only get that with hardcopy Braille... but as you said a Perkins would not work in a class setting! As you know, my only experience with Braille math has been the Math Window, which was a total disaster. As soon as I got to Algebra, I started writing in calculator notation on the computer, eventually moving to (La)TeX in pre-calculus.

Thanks,
Bill