[nabs-l] Question about Readers

Joshua Hendrickson louvins at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 07:16:40 UTC 2016

Hi Aimee and all.  I don't know a thing about law school, or what laws
you could site, but you should be able to get a reader for your
assignment.  I can't believe people at your school think that just
because you need help, that is giving you some kind of unfair
advantage with your assignment.  I would first go to your instructor
who is teaching your course, and see what they would say.  Maybe your
instructor could ask the class, and you might get a volunteer.  Also,
think about a tutor for this class, that could also help with your
reading of the assignment, and also help with you checking the proper
formatting and things like that.  When I took my english class, I had
tutors, not to help me write my papers, but to help me with proper
grammar and spelling, and formatting when doing research assignments.
My college had a tutoring center, and you called and scheduled
appointments before the semester began and checked if a tutor was
available for your particular class.  Then at the appointed time
everey day, or however many times per week, you'd go to your tutoring
appointment.  Tutoring is how I got through math.  I remember a couple
times, one of my tutors was my scribe and reader when I took some of
my math tests.  Good luck.

On 10/12/16, Aimee Harwood via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> [...]
> students are discouraged from helping me because it might give me an
> advantage.
>
> I am in law school and we have a judicial opinion as our writing project the
> first semester.  We are not allowed to get any outside help with the
> assignment.
>
> What I want to know, since we are talking about readers, can I hire someone
> to read for me during this assignment?  I think it would especially make the
> research more productive. Can I also have this person check formatting of
> the document? Can I request a reader to help with bluebook citations?
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this in law school? What, if any, laws
> did you use to support your request.  I think the person at my school is
> interpreting the law very narrowly and is forgetting the policy behind the
> law and the reason the law exists in the first place.
>
> I really appreciate any information you may have to shed some light on this
> situation.
>

> Aimee
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Oct 10, 2016, at 11:04 PM, Ashley Bramlett via NABS-L
>> <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>
>> Emma,
>>
>> Most schools do not provide readers and scribes for outside work which is
>> what Vejas needs.
>> Does your school provide the readers just for tests and in class
>> assignments?
>> If they provide readers to access other reading such as homework textbook
>> assignments or library research, how many hours do they give you for this
>> out of class time?
>> Wow, if they provide readers like this, I might consider that one for grad
>> school.  I've always had to hire my own readers.
>>
>> Ashley
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Emma Mitchell via NABS-L
>> Sent: Friday, October 07, 2016 8:22 AM
>> To: National Association of Blind Students mailing list
>> Cc: Emma Mitchell
>> Subject: Re: [nabs-l] Question about Readers
>>
>> Hi,
>> I use readers and scribes all the time. I would set up a meeting with your
>> disability office to discuss what is needed and get the service in place.
>> Emma
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Oct 6, 2016, at 9:24 PM, Vejas via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>> I was wondering if any of you have used readers to read a chapter from a
>>> textbook, and how exactly you would go about this process.
>>> Although I have the textbook I need, it has been scanned by Disability
>>> Services and there are tons of errors, making some parts confusing to
>>> read.
>>> Do you just tell the reader when to stop so that you can take notes on a
>>> particular topic?
>>> Would it be appropriate to ask my disability services office to check for
>>> spelling/accuracy, or is that not really their place?
>>> Vejas