[nabs-l] More Questions About the Disabilities Office and Readers

Jameyanne Fuller jameyanne at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 23:04:30 UTC 2016

Hello Elizabeth,
Thank you for giving us more details. With this information, I totally agree
with Ashley. You had accommodations set up that you felt would be
reasonable, and now they want to change them, and they're not talking to you
about it? You're the one who knows what's best for you. They need to be
talking to you. They might have legitimate concerns that they're not giving
you the best accommodations, or there might be a good compromise you haven't
thought of, but you definitely need to be involved in this conversation if
you want to succeed in this class.
I have two suggestions that are not exclusive of each other:
First, if you have friends in the class or friends who have taken classes
from this professor, you might check with them about whether they've gone to
office hours and received similar treatment. This will give you some more
information. Maybe it's not you and he's just a terrible teacher. Or maybe
he's helpful to other students who come with questions. Both outcomes will
give you more information that might be helpful.
Second, since you've tried to talk to everyone involved without success, I'd
contact the department head and maybe also the dean of students and ask to
set up a meeting with the professor, the reader, the disabilities
coordinator, and yourself. Politely express your concerns with the
situation, and frame it around your desire to have the support to do well in
the class rather than your frustration at everyone involved. Do say you've
been having trouble discussing the matter with the professor, disabilities
services, and the reader, and you're hopeful the dean or department head can
help facilitate a conversation so you can solve this problem as soon as
possible.
I hope this is helpful. I'm sorry you're dealing with this situation.
Best,
Jameyanne