[nabs-l] Feeling faces: a myth or true?

Joe Orozco jsoro620 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 12:58:38 UTC 2016

Carly,

You crack me the hell up. LOL It’s like a year later, here’s Carly
commenting on a thread long since forgotten! Every now and then you
kind of sort of make me laugh out loud with your nonsense.

Anyway, to keep this on topic, I have had people offer to let me touch
their faces as a means of picturing what they look like. I admit in
high school I would sometimes take people up on their offer, because
if I was mildly interested in the girl, why not? What’s funny is that
people assume that because we’re blind, we’re somehow going to be less
picky, less judgmental. I mean, we’re supposed to be special gifts
from God, right? Haha. Silly people.

It’s one thing if blind people are the ones going about asking to
touch people’s faces. That’s not traditional, not socially acceptable.
If, however, people offer you, I personally don’t see the harm. Now as
an older adult I would be less inclined to take the invitation. This,
I think has more to do with my general personality than any blindness
factor. I certainly hope my fellow blind guys here are not going about
using the touch thing as an excuse to go around feeling people. Save
that for your own loved ones. :)

Joe