[nabs-l] Book help for college

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 22:51:58 UTC 2016

Hello Emma and all,

I'd highly recommend getting set up with your state's vocational
relhailitation agency if you're not set up with them already.  Aside
from the book issue, they can often be a very valuable resource.
Someone pointed out that it can be beaurocratic, and it of course can,
but it is always good to have those tools available in your toolbox if
you need to use them.  Some things that my state's voc rehab agency
has done for me include providing me with some tuition assistance and
covering the costs of mobility lessons and tech training when I've
needed it.  Each state has different accronyms as was said (In Ohio
it's the Beauro of Services for the Visually Impaired, for example),
and they'll do different things for you.  E.G, Michigan students get
full tuition paid up to the cost of the most expensive school in
Michigan while students in Ohio get the equivalent of the lowest-cost
option in the area, so you just need to know what your state's agency
will specifically do.  And yes, many state agencies will help you pay
for books.  I don't have personal experience with this as my school
got a grant from the department of ed that allows students $500 for
books a semester and I usually don't need to spend that much, but
definitely take advantage of bookshare and other resources to see if
they are for free first.  If you absolutely need a cheap copy Amazon
and Cheg often sell books for cheap, and sometimes students who want
to make some of the money they spent on books back will sell them for
a cheaper price, too.  I don't think the law actually means you need
to have a physical copy of the book, as I've also rented books from my
bookstore and that has served as proof of purchase well enough.  Also,
EBooks are becoming more widely used.  Pagination can often be a
problem with those, but one thing I do for classes so long as I don't
need to write a ton of papers is find the quotes I want to use, write
the paper, then go to someone sighted with the print copy of the book
and help them find the page numbers for each quote so they can help me
fill in the page number for the citations.  It's a little tedious, but
as long as you can guide them along by giving them the chapter number,
maybe the heading of the section the quote is in, and information
about how far into the section the quote is they can usually skim
through the information and help you find it.

Hope this helps,

On 9/18/16, Emma Mitchell via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> I have all my books converted now thanks for the help. Also this question
> was from the Summer.
>> On Sep 18, 2016, at 5:16 PM, Vejas via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> At my school, you must buy the book, and they will convert them into PDF
>> documents by chapter.
>> The way I see it is that everyone else is responsible for buying their own
>> books anyway. I do try to use Bookshare first though. Also my school is
>> great about a very quick turnaround time.
>> One more thing, if you need to buy multiple books for the same class, one
>> of my teachers made a deal with the bookstore for all students where you
>> could buy 3 or 4 books in a bundle for a reduced price. That might help.
>> Vejas
>>
>>> On Sep 18, 2016, at 13:04, Carly Mihalakis via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> My guys let me rent the book  Something of which I always take advantage
>>> since I don't have extra cash for this.

>> NABS-L:
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/emitchell927%40gmail.com

> NABS-L: