[nabs-l] What to Ask For from College Food Services

Vejas alpineimagination at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 17:13:01 UTC 2016

Hi,
I really appreciate all the guidance that you have given me regarding some of my other questions related to college.
My cafeteria is divided up into stations. Many of the stations, such as the one for sandwiches, are fairly straightforward, because I just tell them what I want and they hand me the sandwich right away. However, there is one station where students use a screen to order what they want. I have always had to ask another student to help with the screens.
I have found that the staff are mostly helpful, though it does vary from time to time. I would like to make it so that I have to rely as minimally on other students as possible, and think that I will meet with someone from food services. Since I am only their second blind student, they probably need some guidance, although I don't know what I should ask for.
One thought I have is that one of the people from Disability Services stated that there used to be a staff member at the front entrance. So I could maybe ask if they could continue this system. That way, the person can help me towards the right direction and also help with the screens, should I choose to eat at that station. The other option I had was to see if there could be a staff member at the screen. I don't know how logical this idea is, however, because most all the other students can use the screens without issue, so that staff member would just be spending most of their time standing around.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Vejas