[nabs-l] want to major in information technology

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 02:46:31 UTC 2017

Hi Amy,
Congratulations on getting your diploma! You have so many exciting times ahead.

If you're interested in IT, I suggest you take a look at the Cisco Academy for the Visually Impaired, CAVI. They're based out of Australia but run online courses for students with visual impairments and blindness, including an introduction to IT. Their website is
http://www.cavitraining.com/

The instructors are blind themselves and use JAWS and NVDA. The courses are paid, but the fees are reasonable for the detailed instruction and one-on-one coaching you get.

Talking to the DSO at your school is helpful, but they may not know what you need, as it's unlikely they've had a JAWS user in your program of choice before. So writing to this list and consulting the CAVI people are great places to start.

In the meantime, you may also wish to contact your potential course instructors to learn what tools and programming languages they teach. That will help you to narrow down the questions you need answered in regards to accessibility. You can get an idea of what you need and want to take by looking at your school's course calendar. You can use it to find the contact details of each course's instructor or the details for the administrative professional who can give you this information as soon as it becomes available.

I know this is a lot, but I hope it helps you somewhat. Please let the list know how best we can support you.

Take care,
Sarah