[nabs-l] Swimming and Other Ocean Activities

nmpbrat at aol.com nmpbrat at aol.com
Sun Aug 13 02:01:29 UTC 2017

Although I do agree with Meaghan to some degree, I think the comparison of swimming in the pool versus swimming in the ocean is not the same.  I think the act of swimming itself is probably not what her parents are concerned about.  I think instead, they may be concerned about things like sharks, for example, which seem to be coming closer and closer to shore these days in places where people do swim and do other things like surf.  This is something that you don't encounter in a pool and something that cannot necessarily be sensed besides using vision, until its too late.  The other thing that i can think of is swift undercurrents.  This is also something not found in a pool and which a person can find oneself very disoriented, even for those with sight.  Since I am partially sighted, I'm not sure that I am the best one to give answers to this but I do see where they might have concerns.  I don't know that it necessarily means that your friends have to be attached to your hip, so to speak, but rather just aware of the surroundings and that you remain in reasonable proximity to them.  Honestly, regardless of whether you are there with them or not, they should be keeping watch for unwanted "visitors" and should also be keeping track of where they are in relation to the shore....so really the only thing they would need to do is make sure you're in the same general area to them.
Just my 2 cents.