[nabs-l] Did you have a transitions class?

nmpbrat at aol.com nmpbrat at aol.com
Mon Aug 14 04:13:24 UTC 2017

Hi Ahbee,
I personally did not when I was in high school.  However, I am now teaching in a public school system in Ohio and I know at our high school there is a transition class.  Since I teach special ed., looking at it from that perspective, if you are on an IEP (even if it's simply because you need accommodations), IEPs are required to have a section and goals on transition (at least in our state) and so I believe that is part of the reason or purpose to have that class in order to be able to address that section of the IEP especially for students who spend most, if not all, of their time in regular education classes.  If you are always in regular classes, they still have to find a way to address that part of the IEP.  Now, I can't be for sure that this is the case at your school or in your situation but it is a possibility and another perspective.  For me, when I was in school, my transition IEP stuff was met through other means, like O&M training, etc. during after school hours.  So, I guess I would just say, before you take it personally or jump to conclusions, I would simply inquire as to what the purpose for you personally being in the class is...and then go from there.
Nicole