[nabs-l] A H instructor

Sami Osborne sami.j.osborne97 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 14:42:33 UTC 2017

Hi Brian,

I'm not an expert on this matter at all, but it sounds to me like
the only reasons you should file a lawsuit against your college
is if they repeatedly
fail to follow the law, as Justin said.  That is to say, all
colleges are required by the ADA and other laws to provide
students with disabilities with all the necessary accommodations,
either that the student requests (in most instances) or that the
college deems appropriate to match the student's needs.  If a
school fails to do so and keeps denying a student with
disabilities their requested accommodations, then they're
essentially violating the law in this case.  If this happens only
one time, then you should probably first either have an in-person
meeting with Disability Services/the professor, or send them an
email, to try to figure out exactly why your accommodation
requests have been denied.  If that doesn't work, I believe you
can file a complaint with the school's Office of Complaints (I do
apologize if I messed up the name, I do o it was mentioned on
here but I don't remember it) (you can also get the NFB involved
if you want),  and if that still doesn't make your case, then
that's probably when I would file a lawsuit against the college.

I personally wouldn't file one, though, because I go to a great
school with excellent professors and Disability Services, who
always do their best to make sure they accommodate me, given the
fact that they've had experience working with many other blind
students in the past.  However, I do have a blind friend who is a
Music Ed major, who goes to a different college in NY, and he
actually had to file a lawsuit against his school because they
denied him accommodations.

I hope this helps, and I hope you can get your situation resolved
quickly.

Thanks,

Sami