[nabs-l] New to this

Cricket Bidleman cricketbidleman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 02:10:40 UTC 2017

A periodic table will help immensely. There's one in Braille and large
print that comes with a nice book. There's a whole Braille chemistry
code too. It's not that hard if you know Nemeth, but there are some
differences. For example, in a lot of cases, subscript signs aren't
necessary, but sometimes they are. Same with number signs. The way I
learned Chem code was just by reading my AP chem textbook, but don't
use electronic Braille for that, of course. That's assuming that
you're totally or almost totally blind, or that you're a Braille user.
If you're not, the periodic table is still helpful and pretty
universal. Memorize the different groups and families if you can. If
you're beyond that, I'd start by looking at atomic structures so that
you understand how atoms are arranged and stuff. That's really visual,
but you can just memorize the orbittals and stuff. APH has some good
manipulatives that will help with that.
Obstacles? With science and blindness, there are lots of obstacles
because it's relatively uncharted territory. I had a lot of issues
when I took AP Chem, but I feel like telling you about all of them
would be pretty discouraging, so I'll just say this. Be open to trying
new things that aren't necessarily anything you've ever tried before.
You have to sometimes get creative with this stuff. If you're able to
do that, you can get a lot of places. Feel free to email me off list.