[nabs-l] Reliable and Accessible Flight Booking App or Website

Sami Osborne ligne14 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 21 16:04:27 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I know this is not really the purpose of this thread, but now
we're talking airline apps, I just wanted to let you guys know
that you can't just book/keep track of flights, but you can also
use them to have your boarding pass right on your smart phone.  I
used that feature this summer when I flew out to California,
(using the United Airlines app,) and in my opinion it is very
useful.  It reduces the line at the check-in counter at the
airport, not significantly, but still does a little bit since you
don't need an extra copy of your boarding pass, and may or may
not want to check your bags.  Also, the advantage of this is that
you know in advance all the details of your flight, such as which
departure gate/at what time it's leaving from, what seat you've
been assigned, and the time that group starts boarding.  Note
that you can only do this at least twenty-four hours before your
flight departs.  Also, now that I mention this, in my opinion,
this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier than having
the airport employee dictating you all this info from a paper
boarding pass, because airports can be
extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemely loud and crowded, so it's already
hard to hear them in general, (especially me, who has a hearing
loss in addition to my blindness).  (Not trying to knock anyone
down who uses paper boarding passes, just telling my opinion).
 I found the United app to be extremely accessible with
VoiceOver, and have run into absolutely no accessibility barriers
when checking into my flights.  I'll be going back to California
this summer, and will most definitely be using this method.

I hope this helps.

Thanks and have a nice day,

Sami