[nabs-l] Burning Questions: An Interesting Topic for Discussion

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 05:38:00 UTC 2017

Hey NABSters:

As one of the co-chairs of our newly formed Outreach Committee, one of my
goals is to engage our list members in NABS as a whole and to fuel
conversations on the list which provoke thought and encourage us to think
more deeply about our attitudes toward blindness. In an effort to achieve
this goal, I will post a question from time to time which I hope will kick
off a lively and productive discussion among newly-blind students and
seasoned Federationists alike. This is the first post in that series.

During a conversation I had yesterday with the director of the Louisiana
Center for the Blind, where I am currently receiving training, she mentioned
that all of us have a few "burning questions" about our blindness, whether
or not we've had training or been exposed to Federation philosophy. Of
course, those of us who are in training don't learn all we need to know in
nine months at a center, nor do we stop learning and growing after our
graduation. Moreover, those who are newly-blind or who are just being
introduced to nonvisual skills may have many such questions, or may believe
that something can't be done without sight until they learn from other blind
people the alternative techniques they can use to get the job done. So,
here's my question to each of you: What is your "burning question?" In other
words, what are you most uncertain about doing as a blind person? This could
be about anything, from education to travel to daily living-anything that's
been nagging at the back of your mind waiting to be let out. If all goes
well, your question can be answered by another blind student who has faced
the same challenges you are now facing and who can give you advice and
support. This networking and support is what this list and the Federation
are all about.

I hope this little Q&A session will serve as a helpful and fun way for us to
learn from each other. As you post your questions, please be assured that
this is a judgment-free list, and that you can feel free to be honest with
your questions without fear of criticism or attack. I look forward to
learning from all of you and to hopefully helping someone who is facing a
roadblock on their journey with blindness. Let's discuss!

Best,

Chris

Chris Nusbaum, President

Maryland Association of Blind Students

Board Member, National Association of Blind Students

Phone: (443) 547-2409

Email: cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com

Twitter: @Chrisn98 and @nabslink

expectations for blind people, because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you bak.