[nabs-l] Burning Questions: An Interesting Topic for Discussion

Aleeha Dudley blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 16:18:15 UTC 2017

Alexandra,
There are many steps to the question you have asked. The key here is working up the ladder. If you don’t get an answer or a solution from the first person you ask, go to the next, etc.
The first question you need to ask yourself is: What is it that’s not accessible? Is it a PDF, a PowerPoint, a picture? The answer to this question will dictate how you approach the next step. I will use a PDF here, but similar steps can be taken for other materials in class, such as printed assignments or inaccessible online activities.
The second thing to note is that an instructor will likely not know what “accessible” means, especially in terms of document accessibility. So, let’s break this down. What is wrong? In the case of the hypothetical PDF, the file could be  an image, which is unreadable by a screen reader. So, the instructor could have scanned it from a hardcopy, or could have the original in a Word file somewhere, and just decided a PDF was better for some reason.
Next, either meet with or write to your instructor, explaining the difficulties you are having with the file. Explain what a screen reader is, that it cannot process images, and ask for a Word file of the same document.
     If you are unsuccessful, or if your professor says they don’t have a Word file of this particular document, go to disability services. Most of the time, they will be able to convert he inaccessible file to something that will work with your screen reader.
I hope that helps you some.
Aleeha