[nabs-l] Burning Questions: An Interesting Topic for Discussion

Joe Orozco jsoro620 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 16:24:27 UTC 2017

Jessica:

One good online forum to learn about a specific area of town is City
Data. You can usually find a decent thread and then find links to
related topics about specific areas. Visually, one good way to tell if
you're in a good part of town is by the condition of the vehicles
parked along the streets. This may not help a blind person but could
help their companions if walking about in groups. At one point I would
have said that the degree of pedestrian friendliness and condition of
sidewalks could have been a good indicator, but I used to live in
Northeast DC near Catholic University where assaults and burglary were
becoming a little too common. The problem is that in some areas, there
could be a world of difference from one street to the next.

Alexandra:

If you don't get something in an accessible format in college, you may
try searching the title on BookShare.org, NLS, or approach the
publisher directly to see about obtaining the electronic format with
proof of purchase. If the material is a handout, either get the
professor to send you the computer file, or pair up with a classmate
to read the material to you.

My own burning question has to do with international travel. I've done
it, but I have always done it in the company of sighted people. I hear
of blind people traveling to all manner of destinations and admire
their ability to do so without the landmarks, customs, and general
accommodations of our American culture.

Also, closer to home, how does one go about traveling to destinations
off the beaten path? I can understand the conveniences of things like
Uber to get around town, but if you wanted to take off to some remote
cabin for the weekend, are we basically depending on sighted friends
to catch rides out to these detached locations?

Thanks in advance!

Joe