[nabs-l] Becoming an RA

Kiana Harlan carolinarose422 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 01:47:51 UTC 2017

Hi,
At my school, they usually have RA informational meetings throughout
the year. It might help some to attend one of those, or even to speak
with your RA to see what their job intells. I also don't think you
have to go to HRL to get information. Each building usually has a
person who is over all the RA's. They might be able to answer your
questions as well. They could also give you advice about applying to
be an RA with a visual impairment. Most of the RA's I've ever
encountered usually do their jobs in groups. There are visual aspects
of it though that you should consider. If you got stuck in a situation
where you had to do it on your own, how would you do the health and
safety inspections? I'm sure if you spoke to someone, then they could
help you, or even set you up with an RA buddy for these occasions.
I think that RA's have to stay on campus on the weekends. There will
always be students there who may need your assistance with something.
I'm not sure how that works though. Since each building has multiple
RA's, you may get certain weekends off, and have certain times you're
expected to be in the building.
As far as study abroad, my RA last year was only there for the fall
semester, because she did study abroad in the Spring. It really
depends on your school and qualifications. I also think that it is
yearly. You can re-apply to be an RA each year if you want. It's not
something you're locked into for the rest of your college career.

Good luck!
Let us know if you apply and how it goes. :)

Best,
Kiana