[nabs-l] Question about Braille Textbooks

Lizzy lizzym0827 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 18:00:02 UTC 2017

Hi Vejas,
In general, the only classes that require you to bring the book
with you are language courses and ones where you are studying a
certain book (English, any type of literature, Anthropology or
something like that).  For other classes, you usually just read
the book on your own and go to class to gain the professor's
perspective.  I say all that to say that emailing about page
numbers is not generally necessary.  Now, in the event that
you're taking a language class, you typically need the book to go
over the previous night's homework or do an activity of some
sort.  In that case, you're generally fine if you take the volume
that you've used the night before (knowing that if you're
approaching the end of the volume it's safe to bring the next one
along as well).  I've personally chosen to keep all of my books
in my room, but my school has a very small DS Office with only
one person and one room so if I needed a book I'd have to
interrupt her and ask to get one of my books.  So basically, it's
up to you.  Also note that some professors don't even like or
rarely reference text books so carrying those volumes is
unnecessary for certain classes.  I would probably play it by ear
for the first couple of days to see how important the textbook is
and how helpful the syllabus is.

HTH,
Lizzy