[nabs-l] Question about Braille Textbooks

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 5 01:10:56 UTC 2017

Mikayla,

Generally speaking, your TVI is right. College texts are usually a little
bigger than high school ones and your professors will likely require recent
versions which came out within a year or two. Braille would be impractical.
Each book would be like 40 or 50 volumes and with four classes, you could
not store all braille texts. Next, its real expensive to produce a braille
text that will likely not be used again because textbooks are quickly
outdated. And finally, there is little time to get books transcribed. So you
will need to depend on electronic texts and use speech output for books or
use Learning ally books. Most colleges nowadays provide electronic texts
from the publisher and then you can read on your pc or on a text to speech
device such as a vr stream. You can read braille on a braille display if you
have that or a braille notetaking device. Your electronic texts may be able
to be read on a braille display.
While  most texts will be read with speech, there are some options to obtain
electronic braille if you can read via a braille display.
I do not know if you have a braille notetaker or braille display.

Here are some options for obtaining  electronic braille. NLS also produces
some classics in  hard copy braille so you might find those useful for
literature classes. For instance, one english class I signed up for and
ended up dropping required the Great Gatsby, and I got that through my NLS
network library in braille.

For electronic braille:

1. For older books out of copy right or famous documents such as  The
Constitution, Gettysburg address, I have a Dream Speech or the Bible, try
the internet. Project Guttenberg has many free downloadable books and
documents.

2. Use BARD to download electronic braille books; and if you do not use BARD
through your NLS program, I highly suggest signing up.

3. Assuming you have bookshare though bookshare.org, you can download many
books in brf format. BRF simply means they were already translated into
braille.

4. If you can pay for books, check National braille press which offers
everything in ebraille and hard copy nowadays.

But yeah, your TVI is pretty right. I got through college and current
electives primarily via audio.

HTH,
Ashley