[nabs-l] Discrimination at workplace and how to deal with it

Zachary N. Griego-Dreicer zdreicer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 04:34:22 UTC 2017

Hi, thank you for your responses to my initial discrimination question, I definitely feel that this paragraph I received via email from one of my managers last week at The dining hall where I work disallows  me from performing jobs that many other student employees are responsible for, leaving me always with the dishes. I really like the people I work with and would rather not relocate even if it's to another dining hall because this dining hall is right near my residence hall at school. One of my friends that works with me has talked with me about this and thinks that the managers have not dealt with very many people with disabilities before, but this university is an equal opportunity employer which does not discriminate based on anything… Or so they  claim. I've tried approaching this particular manager as well as others to discuss both in person and in  email, but getting pretty much the same response as below. Additionally, I realize that people at my school would be obligated to file an additional title IX complaint or whatever complaint this would be   with the affirmative action because of this if it was gotten ahold of, which means that I would be involved in 2   title IX complaint simultaneously. I really enjoy working at the dining hall to, and would rather not move. How do you guys think would be the best way to resolve this so I can remain employed there but with the ability to work at different stations other than the dishes? The paragraph reads as follows (Employee names I edited out):
Zach, while we all know you are very capable, we do not have other positions we are comfortable putting you in. We understand you worked with someone else at Dining room attendant one night, which is great as extra help but we can’t have someone chauffeuring you around the entire shift. Similarly, with the positions as cooks assistants much of these jobs are not supervised and require a lot of moving around and dealing with dangerous materials. If you want to continue working here your shifts will continue to be in the dish room.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Using VoiceOver