[nabs-l] Discrimination at workplace and how to deal with it

johnnie Jean duran johnniejduran at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 16:08:06 UTC 2017

I wasn't given quite enough information to thoroughly examine the
situation. Although this is absolutely NOT ok, under any circumstance.
it's important to remember that when dealing with schools/colleges,
that they are not willing to be responsible for any incident that
takes place within their facilities. They have difficulties letting
students with total vision complete these jobs, so of course they are
absolutely terrified when they see a student with a visual impairment
coming in. Once again, this isn't ok, but at the end of the day,
whether they are an equal opportunity employer or not, they will not
do anything that has a possible outcome of a  lawsuit or a hospital
bill. But before I can give you my opinion on how the situation should
be handled, I have several questions for you:
1. Are there any possible safety hazards regarding the dish room that
you can think of, just off the top of your head?
2. Do the other students switch jobs often?
3. If yes, how does the system of who does what work?
3. What are some of the other jobs and responsibilities?
4. Do you know the dining hall well enough so that someone doesn't
have to navegate around it with you for the entire shift? (I'm pretty
sure the answer to this is yes, but I just thought I'd ask)

--
Ms. Johnnie Jean Duran
http://www.gofundme.com/jjd-grad-fund
Secretary
North Metro Chapter
http://www.facebook.com/northmetrochapter
&
Secretary
Colorado Association of Blind Students (CABS)
http://www.facebook.com/cobs2014
http://www.twitter.com/cabslink
National Federation of the Blind of Colorado (NFBCO)
http://www.nfbco.org
11th Grade
John F. Kennedy High School
Denver, Colorado