[nabs-l] Seeking Opinions on Blind Research Techniques

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 03:19:23 UTC 2017

Hi Elizabeth,

You would still be going to the sight, listening to the
conversations that go on, paying attention to all the other
auditory cues you can etc.  Taking someone with you could work
something like when an actual anthropologist uses a translator
except instead of translating one language to another, they would
be translating specific visual information that you asked them
for (like what the students eat, how much they leave on their
plates, etc.).  I think given your list of topics, a lot of this
isn't visual anyway, so you could do this on your own.  All the
things involving authority over food choices and peer pressure,
for instance, involve paying attention to conversations, which
you could do at least as well as any sighted person.

HTH,
Karl