[nabs-l] Having a hard time finding textbooks

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 17:39:34 UTC 2017

Hi Jessica,
In addition to Bookshare or Learning Ally (assuming you're in the US), you could also check your local public library for audiobooks or ebooks. You could also contact the publishers directly to see if they'll give you an accessible digital copy. Often these are in pdf, so depending on the subject area their accessibility will vary. If you are a current student, your accessibility office should be able to ask on your behalf if necessary, as some publishers will not give books directly to students over copyright concerns.

I do have some clarifying questions for you though to make sure we can give you the best help:
1. What format(s) are you looking for? (Braille, large print, audio, etc.)
2. What subject(s) are these texts for? If it's a STEM subject you'll have more difficulty, but if it's humanities or text-based social sciences you should be able to find several options.
3. Where are you located? Some repositories of books are only available to citizens of certain regions. NLS for instance is only available to US citizens; ACE is only available to residents of my home province of Ontario in Canada.

I hope this helps,
Sarah