[nabs-l] An Announcement and a Thank You

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 05:24:37 UTC 2017

Dear NABS Family:

I hope all of you are having a wonderful start to your weekend, and that
those of you who will be joining us in Orlando are having a stress-free
packing experience. I can't wait to reunite with so many of you in a few
days, and to celebrate the progress NABS has made in our first 50 years.
With your help, I know we can make our golden anniversary convention the
best one yet for NABS!

As we approach our national convention, I would like to share with you an
announcement which will have an effect on my role in the leadership of our
organization. For the past two years, I have had the distinct honor of
serving on the NABS Board, where I have work alongside amazing leaders like
current President Kathryn Webster, immediate past President Sean Whalen, and
all the wonderful Board members with whom I have served. This has been one
of the greatest blessings of my life, and I will always treasure it.
However, after much personal reflection and consultation with my mentors and
friends, I am choosing not to run for reelection at this year's business
meeting.

Firstly and most importantly, I am doing this because I will be starting
college in the fall, and I feel it is crucial for me to focus primarily on
my studies as I make this transition. It would be unfair to NABS if I were
to suddenly shirk my responsibilities while I adjust to college life, while
still expecting our members to consider me worthy of a Board position.
Moreover, I have chose not to run again because I recognize that, during
this year, I have not lived up to the standard which is and should be
expected of a Board member. My lack of work on behalf of NABS was largely
caused by my focus on my training at the Louisiana Center for the Blind.
Even so, I cannot presume to ask to be trusted again with a position for
which I have not worked. Indeed, there are many hardworking off-Board
leaders who have generously picked up much of the work I left behind, and I
believe they should be given the recognition they deserve. Finally, I have
made this decision recognizing my need to focus my attention on my state's
student division, of which I serve as President, as we prepare to go into a
transition of leadership. For this reason, I feel it is in the best interest
of NABS that I take a step back from national leadership at this time.

I would like to close by expressing my gratitude to you, the members of the
National Association of Blind Students. Whether it has been in-person, over
the phone or in emails, I have been able to talk with many of our members
across the country over these past two years. Through those dialogues, I
have discovered the rich talent, inspiring dedication, and boundless energy
we have in this organization. Every day, you have reminded me of why we in
the Federation do what we do, and you have inspired me to keep going even
when the work gets tough. Please be assured that each of you holds a special
place in my heart. Please also be assured that this is in no way a step back
from NABS. I intend to do all that I can to support our leaders and to build
the Federation through our student division. Our cause marches on, and I
intend to march with it! So, thank you so much for your support of me over
the years, and, more importantly, your support of the organization we love.
I look forward to stepping into my new role in NABS and beyond.

With gratitude for your unwavering support, and excitement about the future,
I remain,

Yours in the movement,

Chris Nusbaum