[nabs-l] Question for Anyone Who Gets Their Books Scanned by DSS

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 3 05:28:35 UTC 2017

Vejas,

I had scanned copies for the garbled mistakes. I'd rather have a reader.
Have you asked your state vr agency to pay for a reader?
I think readers can provide so much more than text files although you then
have to schedule time to read with them. They can describe the charts and
pictures, skip text, tell you what are the bold words which means they are
vocabulary words,
and go to certain sections.

I think your dss should try to procure the text from the publisher. A text
file from the publisher would eliminate the need to scan and thus have
errors.
Does your school do that? Most schools will contact the publisher for the
text if you provide a receit showing you purchased the book.

If the school only can scan texts, then by all means they need to be
readable.
If the text is terrible, I'd go back to them and explain what you found. Ask
them to see if they can correct the errors.
I hope they do that or rescan it with better quality. You cannot use a
jumbled up text after all.

Ashley