[nabs-l] Clarification Re: Support for Vee Gaspa for Bice president

Kathryn Webster, NABS President nabs.president at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 01:34:24 UTC 2017

Chris and all:

I kindly ask this thread to be discontinued. I am saddened to see national leaders contributing to this back and forth. Harry: You are spot on. Shannon: thank you for clarifying factual information. Vee: thank you for trying to attain personal testimonies for equal access to education. Chris: thank you for your work and energy for the National Federation of the Blind. And membership: I am sorry that you must continue reading these messages. As president of the national Association of Blind Students, and one who leads with honesty and integrity, I ask that each of you consider leadership as you think about writing on our list. Think of our core values, our love, our goals, and our purpose. Think about inspiring others for a common good; think about enabling others to work; think about kindness and sincerity; think about leading by example. As Chris said, leadership is not about what you say, but about the tangible outcomes that come from your hard work. When I barely knew anyone in the Federation in 2015, but I had aspirations of being elected to the national student board, I worked, and I never gave up. If students did not want to write letters, I called them and wrote it for them. At the end of the day, it is not about credit or blame; it is about prioritizing and assuring our national goals are being met. I encourage each of you to consider this when taking on leadership. The strongest leaders are sometimes those that lead from behind. Please reflect on your intentions and thoughts as both members and leaders of the Federation. And then, think about those on this list that are not formal members. Ask yourself why? Why are you continuing to portray yourself as someone you are not or continuing negativity? This must stop now. We are here for one reason, and we are on a mailing list to share experiences, resources, announcements, and updates for the National Federation of the Blind and the national student division. I appreciate diverse opinions being shared, however this has gone too far on all counts.

Again, I appreciate the discussion and now am closing this thread.

For the Federation,
Kathryn Webster
President | National Association of Blind Students