[nabs-l] Project BLAST... A new generation of blind scientists and engineers

Jamie P. blackbyrdfly at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 23:39:34 UTC 2017

Greetings fellow students!

Some of you may recall that I spoke at the 2016 National Convention in Orlando about my journey from discrimination that prevented me from taking even basic math courses in school, to working for NASA on scientific instruments that help us study the cosmos. In that presentation, I promised to build bridges for other blind students to be able to grow from the same hands on experiences and turn their dreams into cutting edge science and engineering. Well, I have had a very busy six months, and I want to share with you what I've been doing.

This is a 90-second video about my latest project, which aims to help blind students learn the hands on skills they need to excel at science and engineering. It's part of my application to win a grant worth $25,000 to fund the continuation of the project. Would you mind having a look, and clicking "like" if you like what you hear? It will help me show the judges that this is a well supported and in demand endeavor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVJlR7OI8nk&index=42&list=PLBgTkRMP5uaz784GjDzUKRvog4TSpAwPA

And if you like what you hear, could you please help me spread the word and rally more support by sharing with your friends and colleagues?

Project BLAST is already underway with a first workshop scheduled to take place in early June, but with the help and support of my Federation family, I know we can keep the project growing and bring a whole new generation of blind scientists and engineers into the STEM community, and reach amazing new heights!

Thanks, and I hope you're all doing well and having a fantastic semester.

Sincerely,

Jamie Principato