[nabs-l] NFB Training Center

Sophie Trist sweetpeareader at gmail.com
Mon May 1 13:28:01 UTC 2017

Allie, I've attended Louisiana Center for the Blind's STEPP
program, which should be similar to the one at CCB.  You
typically have classes in braille, technology, cooking/cleaning,
and travel. There are only about two or three people in each
class, so you get a lot of one-on-one instruction, which I really
liked. On weekends, we went on fun excursions to do things like
ropes courses. For the last half of the program, students were
given a minimum wage job out in the community. Mine was bathing
dogs at a grooming place. You also get to go to national
convention! I am totally blind, so I have never personally used a
sleepshade. However, I know many people who have, and they say
that while it takes a few days to get used to, it isn't as
frightening as people initially thinkk it is. Have fun! I'm sure
this will be a great experience for you.

Sophie