[nabs-l] molecular bonding

Cricket X. Bidleman cricketbidleman at gmail.com
Wed May 3 03:34:36 UTC 2017

Hi Ahbee,

I know how stressful graphical concepts can be for blind students. I
had an experience similar to yours when I took AP Chemistry a few
years ago. I know it may sound overused, but try not to stress about
it too much.

When I drew Lewis dot structures, I recall there being different
Braille symbols for different numbers of electrons. For example, dots
1 and 6 (also the ch sign) represents a single electron, or a single
dot. Correct me if I'm wrong—it's been a couple years. Dots 1, 4, 5,
and 6 (or the th symbol) represents a lone pair of electrons, or two
dots together in print. This is the symbol you would write around the
outside of molecules, whether they're combinations of elements like
hydroxide, or single elements like iron. Of course, when you have
nitrogen as an example, which has an odd number of electrons, you will
be using some "ch" and some "th" symbols to depict where the pairs are
and where the single electrons are.

Then there are the symbols you use to connect molecules in Lewis
structures. If you're connecting things vertically, you can use dots 4
5 and 6, or a backwards Braille l, to show the straight line that
print users would draw between molecules. If you're connecting
molecules horizontally and writing the electrons around the outside of
the whole configuration, you would use dots 4 5 6, followed by dots 2
and 5, and then followed by dots 1 2 4 5 and 6.

I really hope this helps. I will be very interested to hear about your
progress with this, if you should choose to share that information
either with the list or privately. Please feel free to reach out to me
if you have questions. I will try to answer them to the best of my
ability, though I certainly am very far from being an expert. Thanks!

Best,
Cricket X. Bidleman
NCS Pearson, Associate Quality Assurance Engineer