[nabs-l] Braille Displays and Notetakers

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Wed May 10 17:24:19 UTC 2017

By far, I would recommend the newer device coming out from HIMS, the
Polaris.  The first ones are due to ship either the end of this month or in
June, and orders are being taken.

The best thing is that this device is running  a later full version of
Android, and will be updatable by the user, with all the functionality of
being able to download the apps you want for the uses you want.  By the time
it ships, it will be a fully certified Google device and totally Google
compatible with Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Drive.  Polaris
Office is mentioned, and this office suite is found on many Android phones.
Also, since one will be able to download from the play store, Kindle books
should be accessible now on this note taker as well.  From my experience,
the Android Kindle app is fully accessible on my phone, along with
Microsoft's Outlook and Word, just to namea couple.

Here is a description:

HIMS+BrailleSense+Polaris+Data+Sheet.pdf
The New Standard in Braille Notetaker
HIMS Logo
BrailleSense Polaris
Seamless efficiency tool for school, work, and play
BrailleSense Polaris offers a new standard in blind-friendly
applications with the latest in cutting edge technology. BrailleSense
Polaris levels the playing field with specialized applications built
around Polaris Office Suite, while providing comprehensive
access to popular Google Apps such as Docs, Slides, Sheets,
and Classroom. Surf the Web with Google Chrome just like our
traditional web browser. Use Polaris Word to write a report and
other documents with the same feel as Word Processor. Sync
your calendar to Google Calendar while using our Organizer. You
can even enjoy a book from BookShare, BARD, or other sources
in our DAISY reader, word processor, or via countless blindness
and mainstream services.
BrailleSense intuitive interface with a touch of mastery
We’ve kept the traditional computer interface that has contributed
to the popularity of other BrailleSense models. BrailleSense
Polaris has a Perkins-style keyboard, a 32-cell braille display with
cursor routing buttons, and touch sensors above the display for
enhanced navigation. There are also touch sensors on the media
buttons making them user definable.
Blind-friendly Notetaker Features Standard Programs
Use our optional thesaurus and multilingual dictionaries to broaden
your vocabulary or find an equivalent app in the Google Play Store.
BrailleSense Polaris, lets YOU decide! Analyze spreadsheets with
our popular Excel Viewer, or read and edit spreadsheets in Google
Sheets. Read or give a presentation using our PowerPoint Viewer,
or create your own presentation from scratch in Slides.
Tools for Today’s Students
BrailleSense Polaris supports Google Apps, making it easy
to utilize Google services like Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides
as millions of other students do everyday. But, there’s more!
BrailleSense Polaris provides unparalleled access to Google
Classroom for blind students and teachers alike. Collaboration
among students and teachers has NEVER been this easy. There’s
support for Nemeth and UEB Math, too. BrailleSense Polaris
allows for display on the built-in LCD display, tablets via Miracast,
or an external monitor via the HDMI port.
Polaris at School
Polaris at Work
Polaris On the Go
888-520-4467 | www.hims-inc.com
BrailleSense Polaris
Easy Connectivity with Your Favorite Devices
Connect BrailleSense Polaris via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2,
or USB3 to your computer, iOS device, Android device,
tablet, or phone. Enjoy your own MP3 while listening
through the Stereo Speakers, or use headphones with
the audio jack for your private listening. Want to pay
for something, COOL! Use the built-in NFC feature.
BrailleSense Polaris is even equipped with an on-
board “Flippable” LCD display. Allowing for more
effective interactions between blind students, visual
teachers, parents, co-workers, and friends. Don’t use
BrailleSense Polaris just for work. Use it for play with
the built-in IrDA as a remote, or you can even relax
while using Chromecast on your TV.
Polaris at Home

table with 2 columns and 17 rows
Specifications
BrailleSense Polaris

Model #
H532B

Braille Display
Multi-touch enabled 32-Cells

Keyboard Type
Perkins-style

Platform
Android OS 5.1.1 (Lollipop), 2.1GHz Octa-core (CPU), 3GB (RAM)

Flash Memory
64 GB

Video Display
HDMI output, built-in LCD

Interface
USB 3.0 micro OTG, USB 2.0, HDMI, SD Card slot, Touch-enabled Multi Function
Buttons

Network
WLAN:
802.11 b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi Dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
Bluetooth:
Bluetooth 4.2, IrDA, NFC (only in
internal Apps)
Ethernet:
USB to Ethernet (Optional)

Navigation
Voice Trigger (“Hey Polaris”), Built-in GPS, RTC, Accelerometer, Compass,
Gyroscope

Media
13MP AF Camera, Alert (Vibration, Buzzer, Proprietary ringtones), Stereo
speaker, Stereo MEMS and ANC
microphone

Applications
App Store:
Google Play Store
Preinstalled Apps:
Polaris Office (Word, Slides, Sheets, Email), Web Browser,
Terminal for Screen Reader, DAISY, File Manager, Schedule Manager, Address
Manager, Calculator, Calendar,
Media Player, Time & Date, Alarm, Stopwatch, FM Radio
Optimized Apps:
Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drive,
Classroom, APH Nearby Explorer

Supported File
Formats
Documents:
HBL, DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, CSV, PPT, PPTX, RTF, TXT, BRL, BRF, EPUB, PDF,
HTML/XML (in Web browser).
Media:
YouTube, MP3, MP4, WAV, ASF, OGG, WMA, M4A, M3U, PLS, Audible (with
appropriate app), WMV, FLAC, MID,
ACC.
DAISY:
DAISY 2.0/2.02/3.0, NIMAS 1.1, BookShare.org, Open Library, NLS, Learning
Ally (with appropriate apps)

Battery
18 hours, 5 hours to charge(AC adapter and USB), Wireless charging(Qi
compatible)

Size & Weight
9.66” x 5.66” x 0.39” (W x D x H), 1.65 lbs

Security & Safety
Kensington Lock, Braille Cell Cover, TPU Carrying Case

Warranty
One-year limited parts and labor warranty
table end

HIMS Logo
888-520-4467
| www.hims-inc.com
4616 W. Howard Lane, Suite 960, Austin, Texas 78728
!
Arrow pointing to QR code.
r-bsu150801
1191