[nabs-l] how to draw Lewis dot Diagrams, understanding hybridization, and the molecular geometry

Aleeha Dudley blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com
Wed May 10 18:02:26 UTC 2017

Hi,
This is actually the topic we’re covering in my college level general chemistry class right now. For the Lewis dot structures, I draw with a tactile drawing kit from EASY LLC, which works quite well and can be used independently. You might want to get a set of tactile letters that will allow you to see what different letters look like so you can draw them effectively. For now, you could just describe them to a reader and look into different tactile options. The Draftsman is also a board that some have used successfully to draw on.
Regarding hybridization, that’s a tough one. It’s been boggling my brain since we covered it in class this morning. I do have a reader in class who is able to draw out the diagrams the professor puts on the board so that I can see them. This helped a great deal.
Regarding electron and molecular geometries, you may be able to ask your teacher to see a ball and stick model that will help you understand much better than a flat drawing would. Things make much more sense when you are able to see where the lone pairs and bonds are in relation to one another, so that eventually, octahedral doesn’t sound so crazy.
Chemistry is a very visual subject and is best understood with some sort of tactile graphics solution. I strongly encourage you to look into one of the kits I mentioned above. If you’d like to discuss this more, feel free to email me at blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com <mailto:blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com>.
HTH,
Aleeha Dudley