[nabs-l] MLA style and creating headers

gpaikens at gmail.com gpaikens at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 01:20:45 UTC 2017

I apologize if others have answered this thread already but I’m just seeing it now and wanted to weigh in.

You should insert the page numbers first before typing in the header because inserting page numbers clears out the header. Just typing a number 1 will not tell Word to automatically number pages, at least not as far as I know. From the Insert tab of the ribbon, choose page numbers, then choose top or bottom of page. The first three options are left, center, and right aligned. Word calls them something like Plain 1, 2, and 3. Not very descriptive.

Word inserts a blank header and footer along with the page numbers so you can then edit the header by adding your last name. Make sure it is right aligned with Control +R. You should also make sure the font in the header matches the rest of your document. This includes the font for your page numbers.

If you need a different first page, which many writing styles do, you get a special Design tab on the ribbon when you are working in headers and footers. Press Alt and it should be the active ribbon. If not, right arrow until you hear “Header and Footer Tools, Design Tab.” There is a check box on this tab for different first page and lots of other fancy options.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Greg