[nabs-l] Providing accessibility for Mathematics courses at university

Haley Sumner haleysumner97 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 05:12:32 UTC 2017

Hi all,

My name is Haley Sumner, and I'm currently a junior at Butler University
located in Indianapolis, Indiana. Over the past few months, I've been
working alongside my university's Office of Disability Support and our
Assistive Technology analyst to create a universal way of presenting online
mathematics courses in an accessible format for visually impaired students
using screen readers and/or refreshable Braille displays. When compiling a
list of sources to outreach, I couldn't think of a more fitting place to
start than NABS! If you're currently pursuing or have previously studied in
any area of advanced mathematics, how did you combat the prospected
accessibility barriers? What methods did you find to be most efficient when
completing practice problems and assignments, ensuring that all charts
graphs and other visual images were readily available to you, etc. Any and
all feedback, suggestions, struggles faced and the ways you conquered and
overcame would be greatly appreciated!!

Let's all AIM HIGH and continue showing everyone the confident, successful,
capable and strong individuals we are!!

Thanks kindly,

Haley Sumner