[nabs-l] ot/facebook help!

James Hulme jim.hulme at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 01:14:22 UTC 2017

Hi Amy,

Please try these commands for webpages using JFW

*Commonly Used Web Page Navigation Commands*

   - INSERT+F7 - Open the links list.
   - INSERT+F6 - Open the headings list.
   - INSERT+ESCAPE - Refresh the screen.
   - CTRL+F - Open the JAWS Find dialog box.
   - F3 - Find the next instance of the word you searched for using the
   JAWS Find dialog box.
   - B - Move to next button.
   - E - Move to next edit box.

Facebook verses Facebook mobile

The information covered in this lesson will be related to using the main
www.facebook.com website. Alternatively, there is a mobile version of the
site that is much more streamlined and contains less multimedia. It can be
found at m.facebook.com. The official Facebook Accessibility Team
recommends screen reader users access the main Facebook site but many
people find that the mobile site is easier to use.
Access keys

The Facebook website provides several access keys that allow you to jump to
specific links from any page. For example, you can press *ALT+1* from any
page and your cursor will move directly to the "Home" link near the top of
the page. Press *ENTER* on this link to navigate to your Facebook home page
where you will find notifications and the news feed. The following are the
access keys available from any page.

   - *ALT+1* navigates to the "Home" link which when activated moves to
   your Facebook home page.
   - *ALT+2* navigates to the link which will take you to your timeline.
   The text of this link is usually your name.
   - *ALT+8* navigates to the "About" link where you can learn more about
   the Facebook company.
   - *ALT+9* navigates to the "Terms" link where you can read the Facebook
   terms and policies.
   - *ALT+0* navigates to the "Help" link where you can access Facebook
   help information.

The News Feed

The beginning of each entry in the news feed is marked with a heading.
Therefore you can simply press *H* to move to each item followed by the *DOWN
arrow* if you want to read the text of the entry. Only a small number of
entries appear on the page at first and as you continue to press *H* to
move down the list, more entries will appear automatically.

Facebook has several shortcut keys designed to allow you to quickly
navigate and interact with the news feed. In order to use them, you first
have to turn off the JAWS Virtual PC cursor by pressing *INSERT+Z* or
*CAPSLOCK+Z* if using JAWS in laptop mode. Press the command again to turn
the Virtual PC cursor back on and resume navigating with other JAWS
commands. The following are the Facebook shortcut keys that you can use to
navigate the news feed when the Virtual PC cursor is turned off.

   - Press *J* to move to the next item in the news feed, or press *K* to
   move to the previous item.
   - Press *L* to "like" or "unlike" a post.
   - Press *C* to comment on a post.
   - Press *S* to share a post.

When navigating the news feed with the Facebook shortcut keys you will hear
each item but will not be able to review the text. For example, you will
not be able to read the text by character, word, or by line. You will also
not be able to activate any links that may be in the news feed entry.

If using JAWS 15 or later, you can use the Speech History feature to review
the text of a news feed entry. As you are pressing *J* to move to each item
and you find an entry that you would like to examine more closely, press
*INSERT+SPACEBAR* followed by *H* to activate the speech history window.
The JAWS Results Viewer will open and you will find the text of the news
feed entry at the bottom of the window. When finished, press *ESCAPE* to
exit the Results Viewer window and return to the Facebook page.

If you are not using JAWS 15 or later or if you would like to activate a
link in the news feed article, you will need to reactivate the Virtual PC
cursor and then find the news feed entry. Press *H* until you find the
heading for the entry. You can then scroll down to the link or to read the
text of the item.

Keep in mind that when navigating with the Facebook shortcut keys, you are
not moving the JAWS Virtual PC cursor. This means that when switching back
and forth between the Virtual PC cursor and the Facebook shortcut keys,
your cursors will likely be in two different places.
Sorting the news feed

Perform the following steps to change the sort order of the items in the
news feed.

   1. Navigate to the level two heading titled "News Feed."
   2. Scroll beneath it and you will find a button menu that should be
   collapsed. The title of the button menu may indicate how the news feed is
   currently sorted.
   3. Press *ENTER* on the button menu and the JAWS forms mode will
   activate. This opens the menu of choices but you cannot navigate it until
   you return to the Virtual PC cursor.
   4. Press *NUMPAD PLUS* key on a desktop, or *CAPSLOCK+SEMICOLON* on a
   laptop to switch back to the Virtual PC cursor and deactivate Forms mode.
   5. Scroll down and you will find the items in the sort menu. For
   example, you might hear JAWS say "Top stories menu" or, "Most recent menu."
   Press *ENTER* on the one you want to sort by.
   6. Forms mode will activate again so you will need to turn it back off
   with *NUMPAD PLUS* key on a desktop, or *CAPSLOCK+SEMICOLON* on a laptop.
   7. The page will refresh and the news feed items will be sorted based on
   your selection in the menu.

This process of activating a button menu and then turning off the JAWS
Forms mode must generally be done anytime you want to activate a menu on
the Facebook site. When Forms mode is on, the menu items generally cannot
be activated properly.

For example, to log out of Facebook, you must first activate the Account
Settings button menu and then turn Forms mode back off. You can then scroll
down to the "Log out" button and activate it by pressing *ENTER*.
Posting a status update

Perform the following steps to post a status update.

   1. From the top of your main Facebook home page, press *E* until you get
   to the "What's on your mind" edit box.
   2. Activate Forms mode and type your message. Keep in mind that
   sometimes the text of your post can only be read using character navigation.
   3. Deactivate Forms mode by pressing *NUMPAD PLUS* key on a desktop, or
   *CAPSLOCK+SEMICOLON* on a laptop.
   4. You can now scroll down to the button menu that allows you to specify
   who will see your post. It may be titled "Friends button menu..." which
   means that only your Facebook friends will see the post.
   5. If you want to change this, press *ENTER* on the button menu and make
   your selection. Make sure Forms mode is back off if you do this.
   6. Scroll down to the "Post" button and activate it.

Responding to updates, comments, and messages via e-mail

Facebook often will send you an e-mail to tell you about some activity that
has taken place. For example, you may be alerted when you receive a new
message, are tagged in a post, or have received a comment. In most cases
you can simply reply to the e-mail using the standard "reply" feature and
Facebook will take care of the rest. For example, if someone comments on a
post you wrote, you can simply reply to the e-mail that Facebook will send
rather than going to your Facebook page and replying to the comment.
Things to note

   - Much of the content on the Facebook pages may change without the
   entire page refreshing. Use the arrow keys to navigate and look for text
   that may have changed near the cursor.
   - Some dialog boxes may appear but they are embedded in the web page
   rather than in different windows. This is most often when you are about to
   do something like deleting a post and Facebook needs to confirm if you want
   to continue. You can use the arrow keys to find the text and buttons in the
   message.
   - When working with a button menu, you generally have to activate it
   first by pressing *ENTER* on it. Then turn off Forms mode in JAWS before
   scrolling down to find the menu items.
   - It may be easier to respond to posts, comments, and messages by
   replying to the e-mails that Facebook sends.
   - If browsing the news feed by headings in JAWS, use the hot key *H* rather
   than activating the list of headings. Only a few headings in the news feed
   will be displayed if you activate the list of headings. Pressing *H* or
   using the Facebook hot keys will allow you to find all the items.

Hope that helps answer your question

James Hulme
NFB of New Jersey Member
908-868-2836 (Mobile)