[nabs-l] A New Radio Station Is On The Horizon, Will You Join The Radio Revolution?

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Mon Sep 18 04:30:48 UTC 2017

Chris and all:

I wasn't initially sure if I was going to write this, because I fully
understand that messages regarding spam are going to create a discussion
that is longer than anything a single message would have been, but I
want to send a final message to clarify my point.

First, I want to say that I do not have any issue personally with David
or Chris, and I've never met either of them before. We had this
discussion previously, and there were some rules set in place by Arielle
Silverman, who was at that time moderating the list that these messages
were not within topic. After such a rule was created, occasionally there
were still messages sent, with various reasons for why they were sent,
and the rule was occasionally broken to advertise a radio show. If I
remember correctly, david has since stopped broadcasting and left
another radio station once before, so this is the second time we're
getting such a message.

I say this because as I've mentioned before, there were rules that were
established to make sure that the list remains free of clutter. As a
student, I care about relevant issues that are discussed here, and thus
I follow and contribute as I can. It is not a matter of simply changing
the station if you don't like what's being broadcasted, because in this
case the station is the list, and generally the material broadcasted is
relevant and worth following. As an organization and a group, I've seen
a lot of information and help provided to people who requested it, and
this has proven to be a valuable resource for me at times.

I object to radio station advertisements because they do not fall within
the topic of the list itself. We have a streaming schedule which as I
understand it is fairly new at conventions (though I could be wrong) and
I would hope that they would be eventually moving to stream the NABS
meeting, as there are many NABS members who can not attend conventions.
Regardless of this fact, the fact that a person occasionally streams and
announces things on their radio show related to NABS is not license, in
my mind for violation of the topic and guidelines. If we start making
exceptions to the rules and it becomes common place for certain things
to be posted without regard to the topic, others will start drifting off
topic and thus the list will become much more cluttered and eventually
people will start simply deleting messages without looking at them, and
potentially miss important information. This online radio station, the
one before it and the one before that, as far as I am aware are not
affiliated with NFB beyond simply including members in their "staff."

Judging by David's rather caustic response, I seem to have offended him
by pointing out that this is still, has always been and as long as the
rule set in place a couple of years ago remains, continues to be off
topic. I do not wish to offend anyone, I simply want to prevent clutter.
I do not know who currently moderates the list; I simply posted my note
as a polite request that we remember what this list is for.

Best,
Ty