[NABS-L] creating a student organization on campus

James Alan Boehm jab2bs at mtmail.mtsu.edu
Fri Apr 13 16:16:16 UTC 2018

Good day.
 I hope to find everyone well.  In 2013, I started a student organization that was under the umbrella of our local chapter in which I was president of. We found the benefits of having a student organization very positive and beneficial for our chapter. Not only were we able to have access to many university events and opportunities to promote our organizations, but it gave us the ability to request funding for our students and chapter and attending State and  national conventions, assisting with the bell Academy, and other event. We were able to request funding, for instance to have a Bell Academy in which the students were able to stay on campus for the week. Weise received several thousand dollars from the University to help with expenses. It also helped for us to pay for transportation in other expenses to our state And national convention. It was a lot of hard work, but well worth every minute! If you have any questions or would like to discuss this further, please feel free to reach out to me. My contact information is below.
Warmly,

James Alan Boehm
Contact Information:
Phone: 901-483-1515
Personal Email: jimmydagerman80 at gmail.com<mailto:jimmydagerman80 at gmail.com>
NFB Email: secretary at nfb-tn.org<mailto:secretary at nfb-tn.org>
Kustom Cane: kustomcane at gmail.com<mailto:kustomcane at gmail.com>

Blindness is a mere characteristic not defining my abilities; the only disabilities in life are poor expectations and negative attitudes.

then be a great chance to challenge the general perception on
disability, and provide the students with a more accurate
representation.
I think this could be a good idea, and that this organization could
really make a difference and educate my college community.
The only problem I have is, all the students I’ve met here on campus
who have a disability , have a very bad philosophy about people with
disabilities. Students here have a hierarchy of disability. For
example: students with learning disabilities often help students in
wheel chairs. And many disabled students think that those of us who
are blind or deaf are “amazing because we are just doing things that
every other college student does, like going to class. My question is,
how to first educate the disabled students in my campus about other
disabilities? I recognize I can’t start this organization if students
don’t have good perceptions about themselves or others in the
disability community. thanks.