[NABS-L] New NABS Group!

Kathryn Webster, President, National Association of Blind Students nabs.president at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 12:17:12 UTC 2018

Don et al:

What a fabulous discussion that is indeed relevant as social media evolves into such an essential element of communication. This listserv can certainly serve in that moderated capacity, though I would ask only that we keep a consistent subject line, as to allow those not interested in participating in the thread to easily move through these messages.

I have a few first glance takeaways. Social media creates a venue for open and free dialogue. When members of the National federation of the Blind use social networks to strengthen our organization, it is positive and encouraging. There are endless blind students we have not communicated with through Facebook, Twitter, etc.; and those avenues  facilitate that forum for broadening our reach and expanding our resource-base. My concern with having two Facebook groups devoted to NABS, without a difference in purpose, is that we are separating our community, rather than strengthening our quality and quantity. We are one organization with varying talents and opinions, but that makes NABS all the more exciting and enriching. I feel that one group with less limited settings may allow for exactly what the second group was intended to do. Of course, please correct me if the additional resource serves an alternative purpose.

Ways in which NABS leadership can ensure posts are openly shared and members are welcomed could include:
1. accepting all requests unless profiles raise any red flags to us (this is something we are currently doing and plan to continue. We are also intentionally promoting this group to all parents, students, and interested parties.)
2. Have less restricted posting power from group members. Once an idea is shared, let the conversation begin! If this ever becomes an issue, leadership can address it at that point.
3. Please note: the NABS Facebook group our national student board created is for anyone interested, not just our members. There is no reason to be exclusive when we are advancing lives of blind people, whether members or not, right?

Now, onto the social media piece of the Code of Conduct. Speaking as NABS President, there is always an implicit expectation that our leaders will not post information that would hurt our organization. This is simply because we are proud leaders and want to encourage positive attitudes and ideas, rather than negative intentions and misinterpretations. By no means are the NABS board Members restricted from sharing notions or perspectives freely; in fact, in doing so, our national student board represents diversity and varying opinions. I encourage us, as members, to think about it like that. I also may add that employers look at your social media accounts when being considered for a job. We promote professionalism and respect, as is what employers look for when browsing your accounts.

Sometimes, individuals forget to think about that writing is permanent. You can delete and email, a Facebook post, a message, but the power of technology never infinitely removes something already written. Referring back to Vejas' comment on the conference call last night, he mentioned that there are often emotionally-charged posts. Thank you Vejas! You are absolutely right. That's okay, right? As long as we are respectful and thoughtful, intentional and aware. I encourage continued dialogue on this matter and look forward to hearing suggestions, as well as concerns. President Riccobono, our national board, and our student board care about our members so incredibly much; and with considering your ideas, we can only strengthen the possibilities for the national federation of the Blind.

Thank you,
Kathryn

Kathryn C. Webster
President | National Association of Blind Students
A proud division of the National Federation of the Blind
(203) 273-8463

-----Original Message-----
From: NABS-L [mailto:nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Donald Winiecki via NABS-L
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2018 12:13 AM
To: National Association of Blind Students mailing list <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Donald Winiecki <dwiniecki at handid.org>
Subject: Re: [NABS-L] New NABS Group!

Hi Mikayla and others,

​ came away from President Riccobono's debriefing with the idea that all members of the Federation are always somehow representing it, even when they are speaking for themselves.  This is indeed a tricky idea especially in the free-flowing world of social media!

I also came away from the call with a reinforced idea that the Federation is at its core an advocacy group that aims to influence public policy for the good of its members and all of society -- rights, common good, and justice/fairness are always goals for the Federation.  President Riccobono's examples illustrated how past actions can continue to reflect badly on individuals and even the whole organization, and perhaps endanger its mission.

He gave us personal experiences and some stories about members of the Federation that he considers to be both positive and negative models.
However, perhaps those models do not exemplify the full range of possibilities that can emerge on social media and in other venues.  I am curious if this is the point on which you would like to elaborate through discussion?

In any case, perhaps we have an appropriate venue for this discussion right here in the listserv?  I have conducted many focus groups in my profession (I am an academic sociologist) and and can help to facilitate such a thing here.

Bur first, let's ask Katheryn and other leaders of NABS if they would support use of this listserv as a venue for such discussion?  Katheryn?

We can decide how to proceed once we know where we can lay out the issues to be brought back to President Riccobono.

Best,

_don