[NABS-L] Purpose of the NABS Email List in the 21st Century?

michael.ausbun at gmail.com michael.ausbun at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 16:30:36 UTC 2018

Hello All:
I have been thinking about the discussion that has been taking place, and in
lieu of president Webster's questions, you can find my thoughts, or at least
some of them, below:
1. Should the Outreach Committee institute weekly discussion starters on the
list?
	I am of the opinion that this should absolutely be the case. I do
not think that we should ask questions merely to ask questions-"what is your
favorite animal?"-but I think that facilitating discussion weekly would be
useful. There are a lot of people with a variety of circumstances
prohibiting group participation, or, asking questions that may be on their
minds. It's the old adage, "there are no stupid questions; ask, because
someone else most certainly has the same question."
	Further, I think these directed questions could be utilized in a way
to assist our students in understanding, and engaging with, our
organizational philosophy. Our philosophy and history is rich and wide
reaching. Often I have found that our members do not know where to start. If
provided the  first step, I believe our members will be fully capable on
continuing exploration and find their place in our beautiful organization.
2. How do we make the list more active, but also not too overwhelming with
email traffic?
	This question has been on my mind for many years. I do not believe
that you can have both simultaneously. As our student division  grows we
will necessarily see an up in traffic. If we, the membership, are
contributing thoughtfully and continuing to provide engaging questions and
comments, there likely will be more contributions. My only suggestion is
that people be conscious regarding the number of posts and the information
provided. For example, we should all try to read the entirety of the
conversation so we do not duplicate information, and try not to post back to
back to back with no other responses between our posts on a given topic.
3. What are ways we can better engage our members?
	Electronically, we need to move to other social media platforms.
People like me, isolated to Facebook and twitter, are behind the times. We
are losing out on possible connections with a younger audience. Instagram,
snapchat, and the like are ever popular with those born after 2000. Although
there are a lot of students in their collegiate years, we must find those
students in compulsory education. Those in K-12 need us, and quite frankly,
we need them to.
I have other thoughts, but I need to reflect a little longer.
Respectfully,
Michael Ausbun
Secretary/Treasurer, Louisiana Association of Blind Students
Vice President, National Federation of the Blind of Nevada