[NABS-L] Career transition and questions about non-traditional students and the the role that nabs can play

sarah at sarahblakelarose.com sarah at sarahblakelarose.com
Sun Aug 12 18:32:19 UTC 2018

Hi, Carlos.
The question of whether to work while attending school or not, in my experience, depends greatly on whether you need to support a family and whether you can afford personally to take the time to handle school full-time. I did not work during my Master's degree; but I have worked during my progress on my D.Min. (a professional doctorate). The D.Min. is a degree that assumes each candidate is working; but in addition to this, I am also the sole provider in my family--my husband is unable to work full-time at this stage of his life.

Online education is becoming extremely popular and is allowing many people to continue working while pursuing advanced degrees. My doctorate degree was in a modular format which required me to attend one-week intensive sessions twice each year. The rest of the work was submitted via online learning systems, and 40 per cent of the coursework was research-oriented. During my final year, 100 per cent is research.

I think that probably the greatest asset of NABS for nontraditional students and graduate students is networking. Imho, I think at the graduate level there is no nontraditional student. People pursue graduate degrees at every age now, and there is no norm. Welcome to your next step!

Rev. Sarah Blake LaRose
http://www.sarahblakelarose.com
Accessible instruction in Biblical languages