[NABS-L] NABS December Blog Post

Matthew Gip matthewhgip at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 21:49:20 UTC 2018

Hey NABSters,

As you are wrapping up your finals and finishing your quarter/semester out on a strong note, please take a moment to read our blog post for the month of December. This month, the NABS Outreach Committee is focusing on Washington Seminar and why it is important to attend the event and how much information you will gain on the experience.
Check out the blog post below!

Note: The blog post will be copied and pasted below, as well as attached in a Word document. The blog post will also be on nabslink.org soon. Happy reading!

From the Editor: Kaity Ellis is from New Mexico and serves as their student division president. She is an outgoing and helpful leader who enjoys helping others and fighting for our rights as blind students. She is also heavily involved with politics and legislation.

Going to the people’s city, YOUR city.
Hello, everyone, I’m Kaity Ellis, the New Mexico Association of Blind Students President.  Some of us here in the Federation are about to take the trip of a lifetime.  We are going to  Washington DC! Some of you might be packing for the trip. As someone that has attended twice and will attend this year,  let me give you some helpful hints, three to be exact! First one, be open to what others tell you,  realize that everyone has different political beliefs and understandings. Just because someone might believe differently than you do doesn’t mean you don’t have common ground. You just may think differently than the other person, but in the end, you both have the same common goal. In other words, there are many different highways to take to get to the same destination, but you eventually get there.  My second point,  allow people to see how independent you are but don't be afraid to ask for help! Dr. Jernigan reminds us that asking for help is not a weakness; it’s a sign of strength.  My final hint, make sure you have the time of your life, and soak it all in. This is a lifetime opportunity not everyone gets to experience. Remember you are in the people’s city; this is your city! Oh, by the way, take some warm clothes. Until next time!
Katy Ellis from the Land of Enchantment!