[NABS-L] [nabs-l] college and travel question

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 19:41:54 UTC 2018

Hey Nesma:

Parking lots are certainly tricky, but they are doable. The best trick I have found is the universal rule of most outdoor travel: Remember where your parallel street is, and keep track of both landmarks and traffic sounds. If you have a landmark like a curb or wall which can point you in the direction of the sidewalk, you can follow it with your cane. However, if you rely too heavily on that landmark, you can end up following it until you turn with it in a direction you don't want to go in. So, I think the most relile  information you can get is from the sounds of passing cars, particularly those on your parallel street. for example, if your parallel street is on your left, you can listen to the cars coming from that direction and follow them until you find the sidewalk. Even if you hear little or no traffic on your parallel, you can sweep your cane widely in the direction of the street. The sidewalk will always be on that side.

HTH,

Chris Nusbaum

Sent from my iPhone