[NABS-L] Proof of Purchase

Sophie Trist sweetpeareader at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 22:37:03 UTC 2018

Hi Chris,

What I do when I get my list of textbooks for the semester is, before I even contact ODS, I search Bookshare, iBooks, and Amazon. If they have the book I need, I just buy it directly, without consulting ODS or anyone else. I've never used AccessText, so thanks for telling me that's out there. If none of these sources have the book, then and only then do I go to ODS and say, "I can't find these three books." Then I am required to buy them. It actually does make sense when you think about it. The publisher isn't just going to give away a free copy of the text to ODS. It has to be paid for, and it's only fair that the student pays for it. As for what to do with the print books, just sell them to other students or maybe back to the book store. You only have to buy copies of books you get from ODS or the publisher, so using sources like Bookshare and AccessText still saves money.

HTH,
Sophie